Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Who I Am








Before deciding to come here, I, like each of my classmates, left important people and important things behind. It was a hard decision. I left my job, my friends, my family. I left important projects for the people I lived with to complete.


Since I was young, I’ve been always interested in the arts. Art is what I want to do, and it is what I do. I like painting, playing music, and reading, but what I really enjoy is acting. Also I played volleyball since I was child. It is my favorite sport.

I was 15 when I started to take acting classes. First, it was a hobby. I was very young and wanted to experience new things. Of course, I was a very bad actor.

After a couple of years, that hobby became a part of my life. I like the adrenaline before and during performances. It is a unique sensation, because it is something alive. It is something that only can exist in that place and at that moment. Each performance is unique. It is exciting to see and to feel people’s reactions when we improvise.


When I was 18 I left volleyball because I started studying architecture at the University. I didn’t have enough time. Instead, I started to work for the state government in artistic festivals and cultural events. When I was 21 I got to be director of a theatre. It was the newest theater in my city. It is a big theater with new theatrical equipment. I learned a lot about how a theater works, and I really enjoyed what I was doing.

I had big responsibilities there, because so many people worked there. I had to manage the finances because the theater was self-sustaining and many artistic activities were presented there every week like: performances, music concerts, dance presentations, conferences, etc. At the same time, I was studying, and I was acting in two different performance-groups, so, I was exhausted, But I really enjoyed everything that I was doing.

Three years ago, a number of players from different groups, began to work together to create in a new performance concept. We trained in different techniques like: stilts, juggling, acrobatics, clowning and everything needed to make spectaculars street performance.

Now, my performance group is a little upset with me because I am here. but they are still working in Mexico.

No comments: