Wednesday, October 01, 2008

American Robin


Hello, Richard & My classmates
On Sunday night, I caught a bird. I found on the side of the street near my apartment. The bird is about 23-28 centimeters. It has a brown back and reddish-orange breast. The bird couldn’t fly and looked like confused, so I decided to take off my jacket wore it back wards because I was afraid it could bit my hand. Then I brought it back to my apartment and put in the basket. I saw it lost one talon and looked older than I thought.
After that I called my husband asked him what I should do. My husband called the animal’s shelter to pick the bird. He toll on phone what the bird looked like. First we thought it was a sparrow. While we waited for the police to take it to the shelter I observed the bird recoverable itself after an hour but it seen not completely. For a while the police came to pick up the bird about 4:00 am in the morning, but the police said that he couldn’t take care of this bird because this bird is a wild animal. He recommended to us to take it to the wildlife hospital at the Lindsay Wildlife Museum in Walnut Creek. Therefore my husband took the bird at 9:00 am to the wildlife hospital because it isn’t for from his work place.
In the wildlife hospital the people who work in there received the bird and called the kind of bird is American Robin. The bird flies from Alaska and Canada to Central Mexico in the winter. The bird can live 15 years. The people who work in the hospital gave my husband a guide paper and wrote the number of this bird. They said that my husband should wait for four days after drop the bird off to call them.
In the mean time I thinking of that bird. I hope it should be ok in the wildlife hospital

1 comment:

Richard Blum said...

Thank you for sharing this story with us.

After this, I think that Robin will be singing a new song.


I forget the title, but one of the lines of the song goes:
"It requires a little help from my friends"

You and your husband were there to give that help.