Monday, June 18, 2007

A laugh

A Laugh

A Story by Yan Hua Yang

In China, many years ago, my husband, my son and I went to Jilin City to visit our family for the Chinese New Year holiday.


When we arrived at my husband’s home, his sisters, brother and their clans had already come together to celebrate the holiday. We had a big dinner. After we finished that dinner, we talked with everyone, and we enjoyed the delicious tea.

We asked each other, “How are you?” “How about your health?” “How about your job?” and “How is your family?”


My husband spoke with a six years old boy named Xuefeng. He is my husband’s brother’s son.


My husband asked him, “How are you?”


The boy answered, “I am good.”


“Did you go to school this year?”


“Yes, I did.”


“Did you take the test at the end of this term?”


“Yes, I did”


“How many students in your class?”


“There’re more than forty students.”


“What number did you make in your class?” (In China, they rank all the students after the test. The best student is number one.)


“Six,” Xuefeng answered.


“Six? You didn’t do too badly!” my husband said.


“Counting from the back” Xuefeng looked at the floor and spoke softly.

Everybody had a big and long laugh.

1 comment:

Richard Blum said...

A laugh

In China, many years ago, my husband, my son and I went to Jilin City to visit our family in Chinese New Year.
When we arrived at my husband home, his sisters, brother and their clans have already come together to celebrate holiday, we had a big dinner.
After we finish that dinner, we told with everyone, and we enjoyed the good tea. We asked each other, “how are you?” “How about you’re healthy?” “How are about you’re Job?” and “how are about your family?”
My husband spoke with a six years old boy Xuefeng. (He is my husband’s brother’s son.)
My husband asked him “How are you?”
The boy answered “I am good”
“Did you go to school from this year?”
“Yes, I did.”
“Did you take test in the end of this term?”
“Yes, I did”
“How mach students in you’re a class?”
“There’re more than forty students.”
“What number did you make in you’re a class?” (In China, all of the school after test they make order for students, a best student is number one.)
“Six.”
“Six? You studied not so bad!” my husband said.
“Count from back.”(Looked at floor and spoke very soft.)
Everybody got a big and long time laugh.