Saturday, June 16, 2007

About Present Perfect Tense

Hi, classmates, recently our teacher, Richard, taught us about the present perfect tense. I felt that it was not easy to make use of the present perfect. So, I wrote down some examples of sentences for my understanding and reviewing. Our teacher made corrections for me. And he asked me to post those sentences on the blog. I thought, if it is helpful for our classmates, I am willing to post it.


Present Perfect Tense

Subject + have (has) + past participle

Usages:
1, recent past action that is important now. (Just, already)
2, past experience, indefinite (now) past time. (How many times, ever, never)
3, past experience (past action or situation) that continues now. (Since, for)
4, with yet.
5, with a superlative.
6, with “the first”, “the third”, etc.
7, repetition of an action.

Examples:
Usage 1:
Key words: just, already.
1, I’ve just gotten up.
2, I’ve already bought one. I don’t need two.
3, Taame has just learned that his friend is alive.
4, Susan has just gotten back from China. She told me that she had a great time.

Key words: finish, realize, come cook, take, run.
Sam: I have just cooked some spaghetti. Would you like some?
Dean: No, thanks. I have just (means recently) finished eating lunch.
Pete: Hey, the next time you go to the post office, would you pick something up for me?
Gwen: It’s too bad you didn’t ask me sooner. I have just come back from there.
Keith: Can you give me a ride to the store now?
Jim: I’m sorry, but my car has just run out of gas.

Woman: Excuse me, sir. Has flight 663 left yet?
Man: Yes, it has already taken off. Why do you ask?
Well, I’ve just realized that I have left my carry-on bag on the plane.

Usage 2:
Key words: How many times, ever, never.
1: “Have you ever gone there?”
“No, I’ve never gone there, but my uncle has traveled there many times.”

Key words: Have, think, hear, study, eat, be.
Emily: Have you ever eaten tempura?
Laura: No, I haven’t. What is it?
Emily: It’s a Japanese dish. It’s fried vegetables or fried fish.
Laura: Really, I have never heard of it.
Emily: You should try it. It’s delicious.




Vic: Have you ever studied a foreign language? (Present Perfect – indefinite)
Carl: Yes, I studied French when I was in college. (Past – definite)
Vic: Have you ever had a chance to use it? I mean, have you ever been (traveled) to France?
Carl: Unfortunately no. I have never traveled (have never been) a broad.

Ben: I’m sorry I’m late, but I had car trouble again this morning.
Jean: Why do you keep that old car? Have you ever thought about getting a new one?
Ben: Sure, I’ve thought about it many times, but I have never had (don’t have) enough money to buy one.

Usage 3:
I have been studying (Perfect continuous) here for two years.
I have studied here for two years, but I’m going to go to Laney this summer

Use Since with a beginning date or time (yesterday, 2:00 am, 1993).
Use for with a period or length of time (2 weeks, 1 minute, 3 years, decade)
I live in Oakland. (Present Tense)
I moved here five years ago. (Past Tense)
I moved there in 2002. (Past Tense)
I have lived in Oakland for five years. (Present Perfect Tense)
I have lived there since 2002. (Present Perfect Tense)

Apples are on sale. The sale started on Monday.
The apples have been on sale since Monday.

Cam owns a BMW. She bought it in 2001.
Cam has owned a BMW since 2001.

We know the mayor. We met him ten years ago.
We have known the mayor for ten years.

I began to work at this office two years ago. I still work here.
I have worked at this office for two years.

Henry has a huge house. He bought it when he moved here.
Henry has owned a huge house since he moved here.


Keith plays tennis. He learned how to play in 2003.
Keith has played tennis since 2003.
Keith has played tennis for 4 years.


Usage 4:
1, Ben always eats dinner at 7:00 pm. It’s 6:45 now.
Ben hasn’t eaten dinner yet.
2, The weather report predicted rain for today. The sky is dark, but the ground is dry.
The rain hasn’t fallen yet.
It hasn’t rained yet.
3, The monitor says the plane will arrive in 10 minutes. The plane is still in the air.
The plane hasn’t arrived yet.
The plane hasn’t landed yet.
According to the monitor, the plane hasn’t landed yet.
4, We are all very hungry. The stew is on the stove. It needs to cook some more.
The stew hasn’t finished cooking yet.
5, I wanted to speak with Dr. Adams yesterday, but I didn’t have time. I need to speak to him.
I haven’t spoken with Dr. Adams yet.
6, The big game is tomorrow. I forget to buy my ticket this morning. I need a ticket.
I haven’t bought my ticket yet.

Usage 5:
1, Key words: long, trip, take.
That was the longest trip that I have ever taken.
2, Key words: good, mojito, drink.
That was the best mojito (that) I have ever drunk.
3, Key words: expensive, car, drive.
It was the most expensive car I have ever driven.
4, Key words: delicious, meal. Eat.
That was the most delicious meal I have ever eaten.
5, Key words: beautiful, flower, see.
It was the most beautiful flower I have ever seen.
6, Key words: expensive, shirt, buy.
This is the most expensive shirt I have ever bought.
7, Key words: busy, day, have.
It was the busiest day I have ever had,
8, Key words: fun, movie, see,
It was the funniest movie I have ever seen.
9, Key words: hard, time, experience.
That was the hardest time I have ever experienced.
10, Key words: bad, day, have.
Yesterday was the worst day I have ever had.

Usage 6:
1, This is the second time that you have given me yesterday’s paper.
2, It’s the third day that I have seen Frank and Tony, but I still have trouble remembering
their names.
3, that is the fourth time that you have dropped a ball in this game. Are you trying to set a
new record?

Usage 7:
Paolo: Yeah, it’s crazy. We’ve had six tests so far this month. (Key words: six…so far)
Weiping: You know, in my biology class, the teacher has given only one test this semester.
(Key words: one…this semester)
Maybe so, but I’ve had a lot of classes like that here. (Key words: a lot)

No comments: