Monday, January 23, 2006

My Hometown, Xiao Liu


Xiao Liu is my hometown in Guang Dong Province in China. There is a small river and there are many hills near Xiao Liu. It was a poor village. Only narrow winding paths went to my village. No large vehicles could get to this village. People had to carry everything they needed on their shoulders or on bicycles. The people of my village had a difficult life, but they were hard working.

People from Xiao Liu like to sing the Kerjia song. They cook special Kerjia food. There are many local customs and traditions Xiao Liu. I grew up in this place and I love it!

Now almost all of Xiao Liu’s young men and women go out to work in Guan Zhou, Shanghai, Beijing, Shen Zhen or other large cities. Only the old men and women still stay home.

I left Xiao Liu fifty seven years ago. Since then I went back four times. The last time I went back, there was a change for the better. New roads were built to our village. Now, cars and trucks can drive to my hometown. There are a lot of new houses.

Mei Fang

No comments: