Monday, March 03, 2008

My First Three Teachers in the U.S.A.

By Ysaura Richie

When I began to study English in Oakland I went to school at the Fruitvale Center’s Spanish Speaking Unity Council. I met Susan and Carolyn, two teachers with different personalities.

Each day of class was a good experience. I enjoyed each class a lot. Every student felt the same way because they were participating and asking a lot of questions. I know they enjoyed my funny comments because sometimes the teacher and the class would laugh.

I remember Susan who was my teacher of English Speaking and Reading II. She is an American woman. She is very confident and strict with students. She always gave lots of homework at the end of each class and the next day it would be the first thing we would review.

Everybody in the class felt a lot of pressure to do our homework each day. If some student didn’t do their homework she would ask “Why didn’t you do your homework?”

She would tell them how important it was for them to practice in their homes. She would always recommend that we read magazines, books, newspapers and the internet. She encouraged us to listen English on the radio or watch TV in English.

I learned a lot of English with Susan. We had a good relationship with each other. I would share my problems with her. I trusted her. I would talk to her about the procedure to bring my son, Sebastian, to the USA. I felt that she was my teacher and my friend because of the talks we had and the interest she showed in me.

I learned a lot from Carolyn, too. She taught Grammar II and Writing I. She was stricter than Susan. She almost never smiled. She had a different style of teaching English than Susan. Some of the students told me that they didn’t like her. When she asked English questions to the students in the classroom, she would look directly into their eyes. She made them feel like she was a judge, and they were the criminals. Before we finished the semester, she knew who would be going on to Grammar II. She recommended that students repeat the class if they did not do well.

I couldn’t continue my English the next semester. I had to travel to Venezuela to bring my son to America. When I was in Venezuela I had to wait three months before I could bring my son back with me. It was a very long process to complete my son’s visa. It was a round trip for me and a one way ticket for him to California.

Right now I am going to Adult School, and that is where I met my teacher, Richard. I really like this class. The relationship between the teacher and students is special. It makes many of the students want to do well in class. I can learn more English here than in my house. I like his way of teaching every student. He is so friendly and very smart. He knows a lot about many things. He makes the students understand by explaining their mistakes to them clearly. He is very energetic and enthusiastic. He comes to work even when he is sick. He motivates each student to participate in the class. In this class I am learning more about speaking, writing and reading English, I am also learning more about Grammar. I am very happy and proud to belong to this class in Room 101 at 8:30 AM in the morning.

1 comment:

Richard Blum said...

By Ysaura Richie

When I began to study English in Oakland I went to school at the Fruitvale Center’s Spanish Speaking Unity Council in. There I met Susan and Carolyn two teachers with different personalities. Each day of class was a good experience, I enjoyed each class a lot, every student felt the same way, because they were participating and asking a lot of questions. I know they enjoyed my funny comments sometimes, the teacher and the class would laugh.

I remember Susan who was my teacher of English Speaking and Reading II. She is an American woman very confident and strict with the students. She always gave lots of homework each class, and the next day it would be the first thing we would review. Everybody in the class felt a lot of pressure to do our homework each day. If some student didn’t do their homework she would asked “Why they didn’t do your homework? She would tell them how important it is for them to do practice in their homes. She would always recommend that we read, magazines, books, newspapers, the internet and listen to English at home, read a book, magazines, newspapers and the internet and listen to music, radio or watch TV.

I learned a lot of English with Susan. We had a good relationship with each other. I would share my problems with her about my, I trusted her. I would communicate to her about the procedure to bring my son Sebastian to the USA. I felt that she was my teacher and my friend because of the talks we would have and the interest she would show in me.

I learned a lot from Carolyn too, she taught Grammar II and Writing I. She was more strict than Susan. She would almost never smile. She had a different style of teaching English than Susan. Some of the student told me that they didn’t like her. When she asked English questions to the students in the classroom she would look directly into their eyes, she made them feel like she was a judge, and they were the criminals. Before we finished the semester she knew who would be going on to Grammar II. She recommended other students repeat the class if they did not do well.

I couldn’t continue my English for the next semester; I had to travel to Venezuela to bring my son back to America. When I was in Venezuela I had to wait three months before I could bring my son back with me. It was a very long process to complete my son’s visa. It was a round trip for me and a one way ticket for him to California.

Right now I am going to Adult School, and that is where I met my teacher Richard. I really like this class, the relationship between the teacher and student is special, it makes many of the students want to do well in class. I can learn more English here than in my house. I like his way of teaching every student. He is so friendly and very smart. He knows a lot about many things. He makes the students understand by explaining their mistakes to them clearly. He is a very energetic and enthusiastic. He comes to work even when he is sick. He motivates each student to participle in the class. In this class I learn more about speaking, writing and reading English, I also learn more about Grammar. I am very happy and proud to belong to this class in room 101 at 8:30 AM in the morning.