Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Difference Of Culture

Here are some editing suggestions. Sometimes I have to guess what you were thinking, so please ignore the suggestions that do not accurately communicate your meaning. It also gives me a chance to give an example of how the word “connotation” is used.

Al is one of my neighbors. He is an American. He is a kind person. He has a black dog named Shirley.


Sometimes I meet Al with his dog when I come back home. Recently, I noticed that his dog was getting fatter day by day.


One day, when my elder son and I were taking the groceries from the trunk of my car in the garage, Al walked by my house with his dog Shirley. Of course, we had a chat. I remember that we needed to change our topic of conversation after I said, “Al, your dog is too fat.” I had just hoped that he would put his dog on a diet. Al listened to me, but he felt unhappy. And it made me feel embarrassed.


I didn’t understand why Al was unhappy. In Kwangtong, China, there is a saying “The master who owns a thin dog should be feeling shame.”


Later, I learned that the word “Fat” has a bad connotation.

No comments: