Monday, March 05, 2007

Chinese New Year's Eve

In China, we celebrate the New Year for a half month. Before the New Year, people usually clean up their houses, bake cakes, buy a lot of food, and hang scrolls with lucky words on their of doors. People write about good health, being safe and making money.. The good luck words are usually written on red paper.

In the United States most Chinese still celebrate Chinese new year, and I do, too.

This Chinese New Year's Eve, we had a big dinner. I cooked a whole chicken, a whole fish, a pork kidney with facai, and greens... The whole chicken and fish are prepared in honor of our ancestors. Fish means that we will have a surplus of money, too. Pork kidney with facai means we will make money easier. Greens mean we will make more money. All of the food will bring us good luck.

When I finished cooking, I didn't do anything special to honor my ancestors, I thought, all of my ancestors are supposed to be in China. Even if I serve them a big dinner in America, they wouldn't know about it. And even if they get to know about our meal, it's hard to cross the Pacific Ocean to come to my house. So I skipped this step.

I called my family to eat dinner. My brother-in-law is in China now, and my daughter is losing her weight, so we had five people was eating dinner this day. I felt a little lonely.

After dinner, usually we eat dessert dumplings. This dessert means everybody is together. But we didn't eat them because everyone is trying to lose weight. That was a boring New Year’s Day in the United States.

I could have skipped everything, but the call my family in China. I never want to skip that. After dinner I called my family to say "Happy New Year!" and "Kung Hay Fat Choi! "

When I knew that my brother and all of my sisters and nephews and nieces. were at my parents' house celebrating New Years together/ I felt both comfortable and sorry. My parents are getting old. They want to see all of their children being together, but I can not go home now.

Before I went to bed, I asked my daughter, "Do you want a red envelope?"

Usually children get red envelopes from adults who are married. The only reason I asked her is because she seldom wants money. She replied, "Why not? I don't care how much money I get, but I care how much love the person who gives it to me feels."

All right. I gave her a red envelope. Of course, with twenty dollars inside. Twenty dollars does not so much but it included all my love and best wishes. I hope she will grow up with health and safety. I hope she could find a few good friends. I hope she go to school on time. I hope she gets good grades.

That was a great night! When I was sleeping everything became good and my wishes came true.

1 comment:

Richard Blum said...

In China, we celebrated new year for half month. Before the new year, people usually clean up their houses, bake cakes, buy a lot of food, and stick disticches on the two of door. On top of the door, people stick some good luck woods in the middle, like safty, health, and make more money. Disstiches and good luck words are usually written on red paper.

In U.S.A, mose chinese still celebrate chinese new year, and me too.

On this chinese new year's Eve, we had a big dinner. I cooked a whole chicken, whole fish,pork kidney with facai, greens... Whole chicken and fish that have to prepare to service in honor of the ancestors. Fish means have surplus of money too. Pork kidney with facai, that means who makes money easier. Greens means one make more money. both of the meals mean good luck.

When I finished cooking, I didn't service in honor of the ancetors, I thought, all of my ancestors are suppose to be in China, even though I service them the big dinner,they wouldn'tknow. And even though they get to know, it's hard to cross the pacific ocean, come to my house. So I skiped this step.

I called my family to eat dinner. My brother-in-law is in China now, and my daughter is losing her weight, so we had five people was eating dinner this day. I felt a little lonely.

After dinner, usually we eat dessert - dumpling. This dessert means everybody reunions. But we didn't eat it becaise everyone is losing his or her weight. That is a boring New Years Day in U.S.

Everything else I could have skipped, but call my family in China. I don't want to skip. After dinner I called my family to say "Happy New Year!" and "Kung Hay Fat Choi! "

When I knew all of my sisters and brother, nephew and iece. were all in my parents' house. Celebrate New Years together/ I both felt comfortable and sorry. My parents are getting old. They want to see all of their children being together, but I can not go home now.

Before I went to bed, I asked my daughter, "Do you want a red envelope?"

Usually children get red envelopes from adults who is married. The only reason I asked her is because she seldom wants money. She replied, "Why not? I don't care how much money I will get but I care how much who gives me."

All right. I gave her a red envelope. Of course, with twenty dollars inside. Although twenty dollars were not so much but it included all my wishes. I hope she could grow up with health and safety. I hope she could find a few good friends. I hope she go to school on time. I hope she gets good grades.

That was a great night! When I was sleeping everything became good and my wishes came true.